Canada eTA Eligibility

Starting from 2015, Canada eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization) is required for travelers of select countries visiting Canada for business, transit or tourism visits of under six months.

Canada eTA is a new entry requirement for foreign nationals with Visa-Waiver status who are planning to travel to Canada by air. This online travel authorization is linked electronically to your Passport and is valid for a period of five years. Canada eTA can be applied entirely online.

Passport holders of the eligible countries must apply online minimum 3 days in advance of the date of arrival.

Citizens of United States and US Green Card holders (aka US Permanent Residents) do not require Canada Electronic Travel Authorization. US citizens and permanent residents do not need a Canada Visa or Canada eTA to travel to Canada.

Find out your eligibility for Canada eTA or if you require Canada Visa using Canada eTA Eligibility Checker.

Citizens of the following countries are eligible and required to apply for a Canada eTA:

Conditional Canada eTA

Passport holders of the following countries are eligible to apply for a Canada eTA if they satisfy the conditions listed below:

  • You held a Canada Visitor Visa in the last ten (10) years Or you currently hold a valid US nonimmigrant visa.
  • You must enter Canada by air.

If any of the above condition is not satisfied, then you must instead apply for a Canada Visitor Visa.

Canada Visitor Visa is also referred to as Canada Temporary Resident Visa or TRV.

Please apply for Canada eTA 72 hours in advance of your flight.