Travel to Canada for United States Green Card Holders

As part of recent changes to Canada eTA program, U.S. green card holders or lawful permanent resident of the United States (U.S.), no longer  need Canada eTA.

Documents you'll need when you travel

Air travel

At check-in, you'll need to show airline staff proof of your valid status as a permanent resident of the U.S. 

All methods of travel

When you arrive in Canada, a border services officer will ask to see your passport and proof of your valid status as a permanent resident of the U.S. or other documents.

When you travel, make sure to bring
- a valid passport from your country of nationality
- proof of your status as a permanent resident of the U.S., such as a valid green card (officially known as a permanent resident card)

The Canada eTA performs the same function as the Canada Visa which can be applied for and obtained online without having to go to Canadian Embassy or Consulate. Canada eTA is valid for business, touristic or transit purposes only.

Citizens of United States do not require Canada Electronic Travel Authorization. US citizens do not need a Canada Visa or Canada eTA to travel to Canada.

Learn about must see places in Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Documents to carry before you board flight to Canada

eTA Canada Visa is an online documents and is electronically linked to your passport, sso there is no need to print anything. You should apply for eTA Canada Visa 3 days ahead of your flight to Canada. Once you have received your eTA Canada Visa in the email, you should also arrange the the following before you board your flight to Canada:

  • the passport you used to apply for Canada eTA
  • proof of United States permanent resident status
    • your valid Green Card, or
    • your valid ADIT stamp in your passport

Travelling on a valid Green Card but expired passport

You cannot travel to Canada by air if you do not have an active passport.

Getting back into the United States

It is important to keep your identification documents and proof of United States residence status on person during your stay in Canada. You will need to provide the same documents to get back into United States. While most green card holders can stay for upto 6 months in Canada, you can apply to extend this period. This however may subject you to new immigration inspection procedures. As a green card holder who has been out of United States for more than one year, you will also need a reentry permit.

Please apply for a eTA Canada 72 hours in advance of your flight.