Understanding Types of Online Canada Visas: Know Your Options

Updated on May 29, 2024 | Canada eTA

Canada offers different types of visas depending on your reason for visiting the country. Whether you want to simply travel, study, work, or live in Canada - the key is determining which visa or permit suits your specific needs.

This guide explains the main online Canada visa categories available to you.

Tourist Visas

The Tourist Visa (V1) is for people who want to visit Canada for vacations, business meetings, events, or short courses less than 6 months long. This visa lets you enter Canada multiple times and is valid for up to 6 months. You can apply for it online and get approval within about 2 weeks.

Travel Authorizations

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is for eligible foreign nationals flying to Canada who don't need a visa. The eTA can only be used to enter Canada by airplane. Applying for Canada eTA is straightforward - you just need to fill out an online form, provide the necessary information, pay a small fee, and you should get approved within 48 hours. It's valid for 5 years and you get approved within 48 hours usually.

Find out your eligibility for Canada eTA or if you require Canada Visa using Canada eTA Eligibility Checker.

Visiting Family Visas

The Parent/Grandparent Super Visa (PG-1) allows relatives to visit Canadian permanent residents or citizens for up to 2 years. Applicants need to prove they have financial support and must pass medical checks. It takes about 2 weeks to get approval after applying.

Transit Visas

The Transit Visa (VH-1) is for travellers who are passing through Canada or stopping over for up to 48 hours on their way to somewhere else. To get approved quickly, you need to provide details of your flight. But remember, this visa does not work for cruise ship passengers - they need a regular tourist visa instead.

Working Holiday Visa

Working Holiday Visa for Canada provides an exciting opportunity to work and travel overseas. International Experience Canada (IEC) provides the young to boost their resume with international work and travel experience and an experience to remember. Working Holiday Visa is part of the International Mobility Program which allows Canadian employers hire international workers on a temporary basis. Learn more about Working Holiday Visa For Canada.

Study Visas

The Short-Term Study Visa (SX-1) is for courses less than 6 months at a designated Canadian school. The school must provide you with a letter of acceptance. This visa lasts as long as your course does and takes around 2 weeks to get approved after applying.

The Long-Term Study Permit (S-1) is for courses longer than 6 months at a designated Canadian school. This does not let you work while studying.

The Work and Study Permit (SW-1) is for long programs that require internships. It allows you to work part-time while studying. And, the approval takes around 10 weeks after you apply.

Work Visas

The Work Permit (W-1) is for foreign nationals who have a job offer or paid scholarship with an internship. In this type of visa, you need an offer letter provided by your employer.

The Business Visa (B-1) is for short business trips, meetings, or events in Canada. And, for this, you need a letter from your company explaining your planned activities. It's valid for 10 years.

The Temporary Work Visa (WX-1) is for short-term work like lectures or performances.

Bottom Line

First, figure out which Online Canadian visa fits your needs for entering the country. Then, know about the requirements for travelling to Canada. After that, prepare all the required documents and apply for that specific visa type.

If you need help choosing the right online Canada visa or filling out the application form, we can assist you. Our experts will guide you through the entire process from start to finish.

Want to learn more? Visit Online Canada Visa to get information on visa options.

We're here to make getting a Canada visa easy and stress-free.

Mexican citizens, Czech citizens, Spanish citizens, French citizens, Israeli citizens, Hong Kong citizens and Portuguese citizens are eligible for Canada Travel Authorization.